Wednesday, October 1, 2014

FamilySearch

It's really astounding how much information is being processed by FamilySearch.org. Literally billions of records are being added or updated. The need for clever ways of processing and storing the amount of information to make the program effective is really remarkable and it is amazing what the church has been able to do with the program. It will be fascinating to see the innovation and capabilities of FamilySearch in the future. Learning about this program has actually really affected me. Recently I have been exposed to a couple companies that deal with large amounts of data and I think I am developing an interest in that. It might be an area I want to specialize in and even make a career out of. I don't really know what all goes into it or what I need to do to learn more about it, but it really does interest me. Maybe I can do something that will really help FamilySearch become even bigger than it already is.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like "Big Data" is a buzzword that gets thrown around a lot to say "We're doing hard stuff that takes a while." I've always felt it was an abstract label to apply to things to earn people's respect. I appreciated the FamilySearch presentation because it helped me see a concrete example of what Big Data really looks like.

    ReplyDelete