Monday, September 22, 2014

Scottish Independence

The independence vote for Scotland is quite a historic event. Scotland has been a part of the United Kingdom for centuries and if this vote had been done back 300 years I think the results might have been a little bit different. I think that it is a good thing that Scotland is still part of the UK. An independent Scotland would have an uncertain future especially economically. It's possible that they could make it work, but with the economy in Europe like it is right now, it is a risky thing to change what isn't broken. Scotland already has a good amount of control over its own affairs and I do not believe that what they would gain would outweigh what they would lose if they were to stay tied to the rest of the UK.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you put lots of thought in Scottish politics. Are you from Scotland or the United Kingdom or served a mission there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I have visited a couple of times. My ancestors come from Scotland and my family is quite involved with our heritage there. We are from clan Rose. My dad is on the board over finances and my aunt is one of the main chair people. Family members attend Scottish games to run the Rose clan tent all over the country, so we love Scotland. That's why this interests me :)

      Delete
  2. This event also caught my attention. More because I was worried about the consequences to England and in turn the U.S. being that England and the U.S. have been strong allies for a long time in the world stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These issues are highly complex (the Wikipedia article is over 50 pages long). I wonder how many citizens who voted deeply understood the implications of either choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bring up some good points. I definitely think it would add another level of complexity to the economy if it had to deal with the split.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Matthew because it felt a little bit like one of those moments where everyone rallies for something that they don't really understand. That said, I wonder about their financial sustainability now that most (if not all) financial institutions in Scotland have many offices and headquarters around the world.

    ReplyDelete